Sunday 23 November 2008

Bad to poor, improving later

As I walked back from Kate’s in the morning, some clown whizzed past in a Ford Puma, through a huge puddle, and sprayed dirty, cold water all over me. What a way to start the day! I’d had about 3 hours sleep and I was cold and grumpy before I got splashed. Bah! And then I saw this billboard: -



- which made me smile and think of Liz. I decided to see if she wanted to go for a curry later on, so I texted her. I made it home by about ten, and slept solidly until I needed to leave for my 3pm viewing.

Oswald Road

The street runs from Croma and the precinct, up behind the Sedge Lynn and Pi, and crosses over Kate’s road. Brilliant, I thought. The houses were all quite nice too, but my heart sank when I arrived at the address. It was easily the grottiest on the street. I knocked on the door.

“Oh right, the landlord didn’t say anybody was coming round. Is he supposed to be here too?” Another rubbish start! The house was big, but dingy. The sofas were new-ish, but didn’t match the living room. The kitchen looked old. The person showing me around was very friendly, but I got the sense that the house was a bunch of individuals rather than a gang. The room was the second biggest that I’d seen so far, after the Chorlton Monastery, but it was tellingly rough around the edges - the curtain rail was nailed to a piece of unpainted wood above the window, for example – and I got the sense that the landlord wasn’t very attentive. I knew it was a “No” the second I stepped out of the door.

Whalley Ave

“Are you here to see Ben? Come in, he’s just a bit late.” Ben is the landlord, it turned out, not one of the flatmates. Halfway down Sandy Lane, it’s a warm little two up two down for three people. As soon as I walked in, I got a good vibe. “Cup of tea?” Yes please! Of those living there at the minute, two are moving out in the next month, so there’s a choice of rooms. The lounge is compact, but pleasant, the kitchen big and modern-ish, and the bathroom pretty standard. The location is great. Of the two bedrooms, one was pretty big, and the other was massive. The rent was very affordable, and the only complaint from the current tenant was that the landlord is a bit “hands-off” when it comes to maintenance. He didn’t make it to the viewing, in the end, but when he called afterwards he seemed friendly enough. I think it’s the one, but after last time, I’m trying to be cautious. I’m seeing two more places tomorrow, and I need to meet the other flatmate, but I think this could be it.

I felt quite sad that Liz didn’t reply to my curry invitation. Not a word. Being friends with an ex can be quite hard going sometimes.

No comments: