Wednesday 12 November 2008

Flat hunting

1. Studio Flats, Clyde Road West Didsbury

A more depressing thing on this earth than a mangey studio flat does not exist. And the three flats I saw were grim. Old furniture, worse than the dingiest student houses I've known, bare white walls, and shabby furniture. Ick! I couldn't see my stuff making them much more desirable, even if I got really creative. To think of being in these pits at all filled me with dread and fear, never mind the thought of being there alone.

2. Levenshulme house share

"I know you," said the face behind the door, "have you been to this house before?" No, I hadn't. But I'd met Emma on the evening of the Folk Train. She came over and talked to Vinny and I at our table, about crisps. I stepped inside. "Okay, help me with this table now please." How bold! How down to earth! How direct! The house is lovely - a massive dining table ("Here we eat, do handicrafts") in a huge living room / dining room - and so is Emma. A piece of pear tart, a cup of tea, and a light hearted interrogation followed. The bed is a weakness - it's sort of a sofa bed, but I could get my own bed, I suppose - but that's about it. The difference in price between what I'm paying now and what I'd pay there would cover the cost of learning to drive. Levenshulme is a long way from Withington, but the chance for change and renewal that offers is attractive. A definite possible.

3. Chorlton monastery

It isn't actually a monastery. But the live-in landlady is very very very strict about what is and is not allowed to happen under her roof. No parties. No friends back after the pub. No leaving washing up after cooking. There were no toothbrushes in a jar by the sink, because they have a neat and special place in the neat and special cupboard. It was a beautiful house, but I felt afraid to touch anything. The people... well, I only met two of them, and one of those was the tyrant overlord, so I think the other girl was scared of stepping out of line at all. It isn't for me, this chairs-under-tables, sit up straight vibe, I thought. Great house. Terrible regime. Not a bloody chance.

No comments: