Friday 15 January 2010

...is through the hanky pocket.

"The underwater hockey team,” said Laura, “won’t be here until quite late, so we have the whole house to ourselves.” Perfect. Over gourmet cider, we demolished a smorgasbord of cheese and cold meats, with chilli oil, olives, sun-kissed tomatoes, and warm brown bread. It tasted so good that we could have feasted on it all night, but it was only our starter. For the main event, Laura made a thai-style salmon and noodle broth. I felt full, well-looked after, content. The way to a man’s heart, they say…

But with Laura, why depend upon a stomach? The more time I spend with her, the more I like her. There’s so much to her. She trained as a florist. She was a competition ballroom dancer. She’s a beautiful and intelligent young woman. She’s bold and she’s fierce.

The underwater hockey team arrived, so I disguised my swooning, smiled, and said, “Hello!”

No comments: