Thursday 15 January 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

Danny Boyle’s films and I have an odd relationship. I loved Shallow Grave and Trainspotting, but I wasn’t that impressed by either a Life Less Ordinary or The Beach. I enjoyed 28 Days Later, but I loathed Millions. Most of all I loathed Millions - its sugariness stuck to the roof of my mouth. So when Slumdog Millionaire’s bus advertising campaign described it as “the feel-good film of the decade,” my heart didn’t exactly race. Not for me, I thought, not that film.

Che wasn’t showing in the 6pm slot at the Cornerhouse, so Liz and I considered our options: The Reader, starring Kate Winslet or Slumdog Millionaire, by Danny Boyle. I was all for the erotic psycho-drama*, but Liz was more in the mood for the feel-good film. Slumdog it was.

Wow! I was really impressed. I liked story and I enjoyed the way in which it was told. I thought of City of God, only told with the interrogation structure of The Usual Suspects. The story was a feel-good story, but not in a schmaltzy way. The poverty and brutality of the slums, and the savagery of some of the criminals were a tangy pickle that offset the cheesiness of the central premise, and led to a balanced flavour overall. I loved the look of the film, and its music. I loved its acting, in particular Anil Kapoor as the gameshow host. But most of all I loved the story. Excellently written – well done Simon Beaufoy! – and superbly told - well done Danny Boyle!

After the film, we went to Kro2 for some food, some wine, and an acoustic guitar duo serenade. I think next time I go to Kro2, I’m going to have the ribs that decorated the plate of our neighbour. I had massive dinner envy. We finished at the Railway, passing through Withington on the way. Oh Withington, old friend! When had I been there last? Well, last Saturday for the Liverpool match, as it happens. But it felt like I’d been away longer. A lot happens in a month, I guess.


*A friend later told me, “Kate Winslet spends about half the film [The Reader] with her tits out.” Delicious as that sounds, I’m still glad we chose the film we did.

No comments: