Monday 8 December 2008

"Home is the most important place in the world"

I started the day wrapping plates, filling boxes and putting things into bags, kitchenware in the main. Paul helped me move it all to Chorlton, and I set about unpacking. I nipped out to buy nails, then fixed the wardrobe. I moved the drawers, and set up the stereo. I unpacked all of my clothes, and laid them out on the bed. I mocked up the location of the desk and the shelves.

Kate came round for a cup of tea and a mince pie. I’m glad that it’s mince pie season now! She was stunned by the size of my new room, and thought it was really nice. And that was before I went to Ikea.

The Fight Clubber in me wants to dislike Ikea. I think of the question, “What kind of dining set defines me as a person?” each time I enter one. But I can’t back away from how cheap and how well designed their products are. The bookshelf I bought was twice the size and half the price of one I saw at Chorlton. The desk I chose was deep, sturdy and simple to assemble. It was fun putting them together. I felt very independent.

Kate invited me round to watch Wall-E and to have dinner at hers. We had mulled wine too. Dunk has an amazing offer for Dark Knight DVDs, and I think I’m going to get two. That’s my brother’s Christmas present sorted, with one for me as well! The food was really good, a simple spicy rice dish and toffee bananas for pudding. I really enjoyed Wall-E too, particularly the first half in which Wall-E and the cockroach are roaming a desolate Earth of the future. There was a brilliant short film available as an extra feature on the DVD, involving a magician, a hungry rabbit, and a magic hat. I was glad I stayed for it.

I passed the Barbakan bakery as I walked home. The smell was amazing. I crept up the stairs, and spent my first night in my new house.

No comments: