Monday 21 February 2011

Should I buy a Kindle?

posted February 21 at 8:50am via Text Message · Like?

Matthew Doherty
Unless I've got a tablet pc, I would say yes. Price of books are usually cheaper, plus u can find all the classics for free.

Ed Padmore
And in the blue corner... No. Books should be bought, read, and lent out - sometimes to never return. The flow of an actual object, the path it takes with different drivers is far better than files on a screen that can be recommended to another user. I'd like them for newspapers, but not books. Too many screens in the world as it is.

Ed Padmore
...and you can get the classics for 10p.



Matthew Doherty
‎"Books should be bought, read, and lent out - sometimes to never return" - I like this a lot and have left several copies of The Illuminatus! Trilogy in pubs around the South (I hope they've had a nice journey so far). But....

There are key books I will re-read every couple of years. I'm not going to re buy them each time. As for newspapers on the Kindle; not for me - I won't pay for someone to tell me there opinion, whether in paper format or digital.

DTRMCR
Kindle 3 is also a simple web-browser, though black and white, with unlimited 3G data for the life of the device across most of the developed world. And all for a one-off price.

DTRMCR
And Project Gutenberg means the classics are pretty much free on Kindle too. I can't really take all my books to Japan, which was where this thought started from.

Matthew Doherty
Was trying to remember the name of that project! For travelling (particularly extended trips) I don't think u go can go wrong with the kindle.

Ben Driver
Sounds like you've answered your own question. But consider: Immerse yourself in Japeness culture, keep learning the language, then start reading Japaness books'. Give your favourites a break whilst your there. How long for?

David Maloney
Good advice all round chaps, thanks for your input. Ed, sorry, but I've ordered one. Not to replace paper books, but for my travels. Ben, it'll be for a couple of years if all goes to plan, teaching in a Japanese school. Fingers crossed. I'll let you know how the Kindle goes. Thanks again, and take care all!

Ed Padmore
I think you've made an informed, and good decision. Travel requires lightness and utility. Many books has never provided this. I congratulate you on your purchase, and hope it brings you luck in your application.

No comments: