Sunday 10 January 2010

“I’ve decided you should come round at 4pm.”

Laura’s house is palatial. Her live-in landlord is a pro-climber, which must be far more lucrative than I’d ever imagined. The rooms are vast – dwarfing even Great Stone – and the ceilings high. For the rent she pays, it’s tremendous value. I was stunned.

Dinner was amazing. The lamb was stuffed with apricots and pine nuts, and the cabbage was cooked in a squeeze of orange. The roasted vegetables were crispy on the outside, and fluffy in the middle. Dark cherries and rich chocolate drizzled from the pavlova. The way to a man’s heart…

…we retired to the sitting room and watched The Lives of Others. A two-seater sofa… my arm around her shoulder… her head upon my chest… a second away from a kiss… a moment away…

…and then that moment came!

No comments: