Saturday 13 June 2009

The worst ever name for a festival…

…is Mad Ferret. It’s not even a good pun. Kate and I were on a guestlist, so we avoided paying £34 (seriously!) each, and breezed in at around nine. Johnny Walsh is a good guy, very chilled out, very polite and friendly. I can see why he’s a successful promoter. The band that he was hyping, Fraser King, were pretty good. I never thought I’d say it, but they kind of reminded me of Misty’s Big Adventure: not so much in terms of their sound, but in the way that their songs had quite big changes within them – of tempo, of volume, of depth of instrumentation. They reminded me of the things that I liked about The Coral, and Gogol Bordello. I’d go to see them again, but maybe not to Mad Ferret again.

We took a mannequin home with us.

Afterwards, we went to Trof. I was chatting to a tall blonde girl – Leonora? Lenore? Lionella? – who I’d seen around Chorlton a bit. She works in Dulcimer, that was where I recognised her from. I felt really old talking to her – she started at Sheffield uni the year September after I left that fair city, just in 2005. I did some maths, and worked out that she was probably 22. Wow! I felt like a dinosaur. She was born after the Smiths broke up. It turns out she’s Johnny’s ex, although I thought that they were a couple. Was she flirting with me to get at him, I wondered. I went to bed wracked with doubt.

1 comment:

LostinManc said...

Wow - anyone born after The Smiths split is waaay too young.