Monday 2 March 2009

STOP PRESS! NON-SHIT DAY AT WORK

"Even though we may be through with the past, the past is not through with us."

(I think that's from Magnolia, but it might not be verbatim.)

For work today, I was in a studio, overseeing filming of an educational resource. It's a ____ video to complement the existing ____ video that we'd had made. Deja vu central. I was involved in filming an educational resource during the hot summer of 2002 with my friends Nick, Ed, Liam and Rob, back in Sheffield. I turned my back on film-making once I moved to MCR, sulkily almost, and just got stuck into living in a new city. I haven't raised a camera in anger since Easter 2005. It was odd to be back in the fray.



Moreover, it was odd to see the slightly shambolic production discipline of the company I was working with. The microphone wasn't there on time, for example, and the director was doing lots of Joe-jobs around the set that I - as a first AD - would probably have got a runner to handle. Actors were left waiting around for an age, not really looked after by the crew... I found myself looking around and thinking, "I could manage this better... maybe I've still got a film-makers head on these shoulders... maybe I should say something." Of course, I didn't say anything. That would be quite unprofessional of me.

Maybe I should make films again.

No comments: