Wednesday 11 March 2009

Pre-conference nerves

The Russell is the swankiest hotel I've ever stayed at. This was the view from my room.





This was my bed.



This was Waterloo Bridge, fifteen minutes walk away.





And all this in exchange for showing a video and chatting for five minutes tomorrow. Why do only fools and horses work? I was really stressed about it, bravado aside, especially after my fucking rubbish boss had slagged off my presentation skills without ever seeing me give a presentation. Fuck her, I thought, and spent a lot of time in my room practising before dinner. I got stuck on a table with the couple that had organised the event, two tech support people and somebody from the Department for _______. Bummer, no networking with other officers who were doing my job in other places. I've never sat through such a dull conversation. I wasn't drinking at all, as I wanted to hammer the ass out of the presentation. My sobriety made their drunken babbling all the more tiresome. I was glad to be through with my pudding. Ted from _____ arrived, who gave me a bit of an outlet of normality, and we chatted through our presentations in the bar until about midnight. Nervous much? Yes.

No comments: