Wednesday 25 February 2009

Work Event, Vetiver

If it hadn't have been for some inspired work by our guest presenter, the event would have been a disaster. My boss was poor, but our guest was amazing. I was late arriving (waiting for my boss, surprise surprise!) but he took control, did the meet and greet, showed people to their seats, and smoothed over the ruffles that her disorganised approach had left. His speech was informative and quite entertaining. For such a dry subject, he did really well. My boss embarrassed me with just how shambolic their effort was. I was glad that the event ended.

I met Liz after work, and we wandered into Hulme. A quick pint in the Bar, and then back to my house so I could change, then off to Croma. "You're the politest couple that I've ever served," said the waitress. Are we, I thought, even a couple? I didn't say anything though.

We met Sam and Kate in the Marble for a swift drink, and then scooted along to Vetiver. Liz and I were pretty smashed by this point, but Liz was on fine, fine form. Sometimes, when she can be bothered, she's wonderful to be around. She charmed Kate, she charmed Sam, she charmed a couple that we met at the back of the gig, and then she charmed Dunk and Al too. "We'll cook dinner for Kate and Dunk soon" she said. It was the best night I've had in a very long time. I don't remember the music much, but the company was beyond compare.

No comments: