Wednesday 19 November 2008

Reasonable argument

I'm still not sure what to do about the houseshare in Levenshulme, so I've broken it down rationally. I think this is rational, at least.


Option 1: Start again - look for somewhere else to live.

Good things:

- I’d only need to move once
- There are lots good people out there, not just the ones I’ve met at this house in Levenshulme
- I might find somewhere nearer my M20 friends…
- …or even find somewhere else in Levenshulme if I want to stay there

Bad things:

- It’s a massive hassle arranging viewings and meeting lots of new people, like a job interview every time
- Emma and Nick seem really nice, much more so than the other people that I met last week
- I was quite excited about being in Levenshulme, I'd already moved there in my head
- Potentially it means a longer stay at Everett, and all of its associated bad feelings


Option 2: Move into Emma’s, and then into Nick’s

Good things:

- Good people that I’ve met already, more good people likely to come through their friends
- New area, and the possibility for change, renewal, growth, that goes with it
- Rolling contract with Nick, open-ended on my part so flexible
- Rolling contract means if the bad things take over, I can look to move again in April / March
- Really cheap, and then getting even cheaper (driving lessons, etc)
- Nick’s is very close to Emma’s, so it’s more like moving one-and-a-half times really
- It’s a nice informal arrangement, which suits my uncertainty about job security after April
- The deposit is already paid

Bad things:

- Paying for December at both Everett and Emma’s would be more bearable if I wasn’t moving out of Emma's at the end of January, as it is it seems like a bit of a waste of money during December - I'd previously written paying double off as a fair way of making sure the room belonged to me
- Informal arrangement doesn’t legally give me much power
- Would living with a couple be difficult? It was okay with Tam and Ben, but this is a more grown up vibe.


Conclusion

Well, there are more negatives than positives for Option 1, and more positives than negatives for Option 2. But the points aren't equally important, so a simple head count isn't good enough. Hmmmm. I'm still not sure.

No comments: