Friday 21 November 2008

Job wobbles

I managed to collar J for a not particularly reassuring chat about the restructure. Our team is one of four that make up a larger unit. The restructure involves combining our unit with two other units as the Big New Team (BNT) is formed, following the almost inevitable Royal Assent of the ______ Bill. Two very senior necks have already felt the tickle of the axe-blade, including the head of our unit. A proposed extension of my contract was informally approved at the last meeting of the smaller board that governs my team, about two weeks ago. But when the BNT forms, a Big New Board will oversee it and its actions, including my team. My contract was due to be formally extended at the next meeting of the smaller board. Now it might not be.

“I’ve got a list of things to sort out for the next [smaller] board meeting,” said J, “just let me just find it.” As we talked about some of the other strategic priorities on the list, I managed to sneak a look at it from across the desk. “Sorting out your contract is at the very top of my list,” said J. And it was, sort of. I could see my name, and it was at the top of the page from where I was sitting. Then again, I was looking at the list upside-down. Hardly confidence inspiring.

Time to find a new job?

No comments: