Tuesday 29 July 2008

Pizza party

Miriam invited Liz and I round to hers and Thom’s (and Ed’s) for one the best dinners I’ve had in ages. Skater Paul made the table up to six. Ed made courgette fritters from a Nigel Slater recipe that we astonishingly tasty. I felt I’d eaten mine rather too quickly as I lustily watched everybody else savouring theirs. The main course, the main joy of the meal, was pizza.

After part-baking the handmade base, Ed brought it over to the table, and – by committee – the six of us decided on our toppings. Five more minutes in the oven, one slice of heavenly pizza each, repeat until fade. Delicious, and easily the most sociable and collaborative meal making process I’ve been through for ages. And the most enjoyable.

At one point in the evening, smoking outside with Liz, we shared a smile and a little reminiscence. It was where we’d had our first kiss.

No comments: