Sunday 4 May 2008

Victoria Baths

Milney and I went on a tour of Victoria Baths. It was amazing. Here are some of the photos that I took.










This picture below is my favourite. It's the inside of one of the old sand filter tanks from the baths. Before chlorination, the water in the pools was cleaned by being poured through massive tanks filled with sand - the water would leave the first class pool, where the rich swam, then go into the sand tanks, where the sand would filter out all of the unmentionable debris, then the water would go back into circulation, this time in the second class pool for the plebs. The tank was empty, so I put my camera inside, turned on the flash, and got this picture.



What! A piece of paper! Wow! What's on it? It was a fair distance back, so I took my umbrella and hooked around it the paper. Once I pulled it out, I found that it was an old callsheet from the TV show Life on Mars, which had shot some scenes at the baths. What a treat! Hidden treasure is everywhere.

No comments: