Friday 18 April 2008

Polytechnic Clam

Tom and I went to see Polytechnic at Chorlton Irish on Friday. Tom’s a drum and bass head first and foremost, and has gotten into guitar music reasonably recently. This night at the Irish is very trendy, in a way that means pork-pie hats and facial hair for the guys, and Alice bands and hair-grips for the girls. He didn’t feel particularly comfortable. It’s funny how an ‘alternative’ crowd can be so homogenous.

I met a beautiful girl called Helen, who works near me, and is also studying for a Masters in textiles. She was articulate, intelligent, and very indie. But I clammed up, and didn’t know what to say. When the band started, she edged away, and I didn’t see her again that evening. I want to have a look for her on Facebook, but I got the vibe that she wouldn’t be that interested.

Maybe I’m not indie enough to appeal to the kind of girl that I fancy. Maybe I should buy some new shoes. Brown shoes.

No comments: