Monday 28 April 2008

Lucy and the Caterpillar at Cup


Tracy and I met after work. We had a pint in Odd (Kate was working), and then went to Cup to see the Lucy and the Caterpillar's single launch show. Everybody was dead trendy, Woody would have felt like a sore thumb again, I reckon. There were three acts.



Josh Weller had ridiculous hair, but some quite good songs.

Petty Thief was excellent. Some things reminded me of Dylan, or of Badly Drawn Boy. I'd definitely go and see him again. I'm sure - from his accent - that he's from round here.

Lucy and the Caterpillar were oddly disappointing. Musically, her band were more than competent, and Lucy has an amazing voice - Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music in one breath, Regina Spector in another - but there's something about the scope of her songs that lacks ambition. With her talent - not only can she sing and play, but she can really perform (Rachael Kichenside take note!) - she has a lot of potential, but the subjects of her songs - wanting to be a bumblebee; beans on toast; being best friends with a handmade doll - was better suited to a nursery school than to a gig for grown-ups. Structurally, again, they were overly simple - verse, chorus, verse, chorus, "thank you," giggle. Is a middle eight be too much to ask? She was punching far below her weight, in my opinion.

Lucy and the Caterpillar are not amongst my army of loyal readers, but if they were, I'd offer this advice: ditch the milk teeth, and put some snarl and some sexiness into your music - especially your words. Give us something in the words to get us thinking and reacting. The music can stay more or less the same, but there is no need to fear being psychologically sophisticated. The example I'd give of how that might work is the opening line of Venus as a Boy by Bjork.

His wicked sense of humour, suggests exciting sex.

From here on, it's clearly a song by an adult, for adults. If Lucy and the C can make that kind of developmental step too, I'd be very happy. Maybe Lucy needs to get in with a bad crowd? I want to send her If You're Feeling Sinister and The Boy With The Arab Strap and Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant to show her that you can be twee and adult simulataneously.

Tracy had some interesting opinions on the draft of the Fun Things To Do For Free project, and its context. I'll have a think about what she said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I agree with your comments about Lucy, have thought the same thing whenever I've seen her live.

Quick intro, I'm Rachael Kichenside's guitarist and was interested in your comment about Rach' needing to take note of her performance? I was just curious what you meant.

...and I ask in a completely non-aggressive manner, constructive criticism is always useful.

chiptooth said...

It's to do with eye contact with the crowd, I think. When I've seen Rachael singing live, she looks at the floor, at the wall, above the heads of the audience, anywhere except at them. It gives the impression that she's not enjoying herself at all, and that she'd rather not be there at all. Lucy was singing about Beans on Toast, but she was singing at ME. Imagine that with Talk a Landslide... wouldn't that be powerful?
DTRMCR