Wednesday 2 April 2008

Coachloads of ideas

I spent an hour talking to a careers coach from Learn Direct this evening, and it was enormously helpful. I knew that I wanted to move into a career that was centred on the outdoors, but I wasn’t sure how to finds out more about it. My coach was very good at asking the right questions, and then pointing me in the right direction to help me to find my own answers to them. I’d loosely put together a plan in my head, and my coach helped me to put some flesh on its bones.


1 Research

- find out what types of employment opportunities exist in my sector, and of those which appeal to me, and discovering the specific requirements and person specifications of those jobs
- look into relevant local volunteering opportunities in the sector
- look into appropriate courses and other training that are relevant to those jobs

2 Resources

- save money to pay for the cost of courses and other associated expenditure
- devote time to volunteering, researching and studying around the subject
- specifically, save enough to learn to drive, and to get a car, and to cover other associated costs

3 Skills

- driving, which is vital
- GIS, (through work, if possible)
- environmental science level 1 or 2 OU course or courses
- through volunteering / short courses, job specific skills (eg dry stone walling)

4 Job Search

- this remains the loosest area of the plan, which makes sense because it should be fluid and open-ended until I’ve got a specific idea of what I want to do


I’d recommend Learn Direct to anybody. The number is 0800 100 900. I feel invigorated, enthused and excited about changing jobs. Feeling like I’m going somewhere makes every drab day at my desk more bearable.

No comments: