Monday 31 December 2007

2007 Awards

Website of the Year: www.BoingBoing.net

Tough category. To win, Boingboing beat Facebook, Flickr and del.ici.ous, as well as the BBC and Guardian sites. Its combination of great content – copyright based news, hi-tech geekery, gadget reviews and great art – and an admirable principle of always acknowledging contributors pushed it to the fore. It has changed my views about ownership, the web and attribution. Without BoingBoing, I’d have never heard of Creative Commons.


Song of the Year: Fluorescent Adolescent, Arctic Monkeys

I haven’t exactly discarded all of my naughty nights for niceness, and I don’t feel like I’m in any kind of crisis, common or not. But I do have a degree of empathy with the voice of this song, being much better behaved now than I have been in the past. Killer riff too.


Film of the Year: Notes on a Scandal

A brilliant story, Judi Dench oozes _____, with an excellent supporting cast, particularly Jim Broadbent.


Book of the Year: The Book of Lost Things, John Connolly

No spoilers, I’m afraid. In my opinion, almost anything you know about a book before you start to read it could spoil it in some way.




Best Surprise: My Ghetto Blaster birthday cake – thanks Pip!


Worst Shock: Dad’s Heart Attack

I’d been in a bad mood with my dad for about eighteen months. But when I was met with the terror of maybe losing him forever that suddenly faded away. My father is exactly twice my age.


Biggest Disappointment: Glastonbury Festival

The weather was terrible, so I didn’t really push myself into making the most of the festival as a result. I tried to see too many people, and not enough bands. I don’t know if I’d go again.

No comments: