Sunday 21 October 2007

Old Lansdowne Road

Testing out the old knee, I took a stroll around West Didsbury this afternoon and ended up on Old Lansdowne Road. Max, Helen, Zoe and Katy have just moved there. It's a lovely leafy lane that I hadn't really explored before, but I'm glad I did.

The Albert Club is a tucked-away tennis and bowling club. On this map you can see the courts to the north and the green to the south. I have a fun image of the whole Barlow Moor Road group joining up and playing lawn bowls, but I don't think it'll happen. I bumped into Katy carrying a twelve-pack of loo roll. She said she'd had a rough night. Evidently.

There's a synagogue on the corner of Queenston Road and Old Lansdowne Road that I'd never seen before.







A massive building - about half of the length of Queenston Road, as the map above shows. There was an open door behind the railings, through which I could see people and a table, but I have no idea what was going on. When I got home, I googled "Withington Jew" to find out a little more about the building. I googled that particular phrase thinking that the word "Jew" would retrieve results for "Jewish" and "Jew." Oh boy!

I overheard a group behind me talking about how ASBOs work really well. I slowed down to get more of what they were saying, but traffic sound blocked all but a few snipets.

No comments: